PhD Science® was written by teachers for teachers to help educators make the shift to a more student-driven instructional approach. The K–5 science curriculum is hands-on and phenomenon-based, encouraging students to think and act like real scientists while building deep conceptual understanding and skills. Teachers are well supported with Teacher Editions and the free Teacher Resource Pack as they make the instructional shift.
Learn how to access and add the Teacher Resource Pack to your Great Minds® dashboard and explore some of the resources. The free tools and instructional materials that can be easily downloaded and printed include an Implementation Guide, Family Tip Sheets, Materials Lists, Pacing and Preparation Guides, and more.
Great Minds Science Video Library
The Great Minds Science Video Library is another way we support Great Minds educators. The videos provide an introduction to PhD Science and its pedagogical design along with insight into our professional learning offerings. Below are the videos we recommend watching to support your pedagogical knowledge.
Unpacking the Teacher Resource Pack and Implementation Guide
- Phenomena in PhD Science explains how PhD Science uses phenomena to support student learning.
- The Content Learning Cycle in PhD Science helps you learn about the purpose of the learning cycle and the standards of the learning cycle and touches on how the learning cycle helps students achieve science learning standards.
- Assessment in PhD Science provides information on the various types of assessments students will encounter during their learning journey.
- Anchor Visuals in PhD Science discusses information on the three anchor visuals that are essential to organizing knowledge-building components.
- Supporting Scientific Discourse in PhD Science explores the expectations for scientific discourse and the collaborative conversation prompts.
- Frequently Used Tasks and Instructional Routines shares how to enhance your science instruction by using frequently used tasks and instructional routines that students engage with.
The entire “Unpacking the Teacher Resource Pack and Implementation Guide” series of videos provide a great introduction to PhD Science and its implementation. Once you’re implementing PhD Science, additional supportive preparatory videos are available.
Submit the Form to Print
PhD Science® is a hands-on K–5 science program that sparks wonder as students build enduring knowledge of how the scientific world works. PhD Science students think and act like real scientists as they ask questions, gather evidence, develop models, and construct explanations while investigating authentic phenomena. Learn more at greatminds.org/science.